The first round of job interviews in obtaining a job typically involves a half hour or 1 hour phone interview with either the recruiter or hiring manager at the hiring company. It is usually a cursory interview to make sure the candidate meets the most basic criteria and is worth spending 3-5 hrs in a full round of in-person interviews. Use these questions to prepare for the most common questions your likely to encounter.
Unless it is a technical interview, these questions are rarely 'go/no-go' and the answers only show a bit about you- so you have to work really hard to mess up. Your goal is to sail through these with confidence, so write down and practice the answers to these questions so you can answer them without 'err's' and 'uhh's' which indicates an unprepared interviewee. (In a phone interview, no one is watching so you can refer to your notes if you like...)
Here are the top 10 telephonic interview questions from feedback from OnContracting users.
1. Tell me a bit about yourself?
2. What do you know about our company/industry/competitor/products/service?
3. What was the biggest achievement in your previous job?
4. What big hurdle did you have to overcome in your previous job, How?
5. How would you handle a difficult coworker/boss?
6. What would your coworkers and managers say about you?
7. Where do you see yourself in five years?
8. What kind of salary, bonus, benefits are you looking for?
9. If you did not have to work for a living, what would you do?
10. Do you have any questions for me?
Good luck and happy job hunting!